Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Yusuf, or, The Artist Formerly Known As Cat Stevens

I am not a religious person. I've even been accused of having no faith, no spirituality. But I don't think that is necessarily true.

Two of my biggest heroes are Sister Helen Prejean and Cat Stevens. Both seriously religious. And both have set me on a certain course in life.

I saw Yusuf on the Colbert Report the other night and it almost brought tears to my eyes. He's still the same. He still plays guitar awesomely. And he still has a certain dignity about him that other rock stars don't have. All of his songs, even before he was "Yusuf", were about peace and love and finding your own way in life. He still does that today. I don't care that he's Muslim. I barely even know what that means. What I do know makes me want to sing a little song:

"Plane through the World Trade Center, and you're to blame/ You give Muslims/ A bad name"

Right?

This is the man that called the Peace Train, who reminded us that "my body has been a good friend, but I won't need it when I reach the end". This is a man of faith and peace and going your own way (not to discredit Fleetwood Mac for the same sentiment).

All I know is this is a man who affected me so profoundly that I have his words tattooed on my body.

And I don't even think that is the right use of "affect".

Everyone should listen to some Cat Stevens. He does a body good.




No comments:

Post a Comment