Monday, May 11, 2009

s. Darko, or, The World Is About To End...Because of Bad "Sequels"

The trailer for S. Darko looks god awful.

I'm not even sure if I'm qualified to make this post, because I may be the only hipster in Cleveland (or Ohio, or the country) that didn't really care for Donnie Darko. At least, it didn't make any sort of lasting impression on me. It was weird and confusing, sometimes clever and creepy. And in no way warranted a sequel.

It wasn't because it was a BAD movie that they shouldn't make a sequel. It was just the sort of movie that...stood alone as a wtf moment in cinematic history. Like the Blair Witch Project. And we all know what THAT sequel was like.

S. Darko actually looks like it tried to be scary. And edgy. Things that don't work if you try. The only redeeming quality is that the cast includes my Gossip Girl crush Ed Westwick. Dear Ed, I think you may have made a bad choice here. The cast also includes Elizabeth Berkley. I can't decide how I feel about this because she's awful, but also has the potential to become a true cult icon because of how awful she is.

Also, the film went straight to DVD. Never a good sign.


No comments:

Post a Comment