Monday, May 18, 2009

Yesterday, or, I'm Fairly Certain I Almost Went Insane

From about 1 p.m. on Saturday until about 8 p.m on Sunday I was, for the most part, alone. I'm sure I've spent this much time completely by myself before, but for some reason the effects of this alone time left me feeling...kind of out of touch with reality.

Saturday wasn't so bad. I read, relaxed, watched a movie, caught the season finale of SNL. Frankly, I probably needed the break after the ridiculous party on Friday night that kept me up, and drunk, until 5:30 in the morning. So fine, Saturday was a day of cooling out.

Then Sunday came. I woke up around 6 in the morning after dreaming of Edward Cullen: Symptom #1. This is already the 3rd dream I've had of him this week. So at this point it's already clear that I'm spending too much time with fictional characters. I spent one hour with my soon-to-be-brother-in-law while we watched my sister run the Cleveland Marathon. I was home by 8:30 and back in bed. Where I had an even more disturbing dream that also involved Edward Cullen. We were at my grandparent's house, cleaning perhaps, and a bunch of my family was there, as well as my real life boyfriend. I had to run an errand and asked Edward to come with me, and I remember being very excited to get some alone time with him. As we were about to leave my family started shouting that something was wrong with my mom. We went in to see her laying on the couch and struggling to breathe, yet no one called an ambulance. Then there was a black cat there, and its eye fell out. This dream was probably Symptom #2.

I finally rolled out of bed around noon, showered, and planned on being productive while I waited for my boyfriend to get home from work and be ready for a dinner party type thing we wanted to attend. The hours rolled by. I sent out some resumes, and settled in to read for awhile. "Awhile" evidently meant another six hours of my life spent with vampires, werewolves, and one annoying mortal. Every once in awhile I would stop to smoke a cigarette and check Facebook to see if boyfriend was awake yet. I called him a few times.

These moments started getting frantic. I was very hungry but couldn't bring myself to eat. The only thing I'd eaten was a Sausage McMuffin. By 4 p.m. I was ravenous, but waiting for my boyfriend. And reading. And reading. And reading. By 7 p.m. my blood sugar was dangerously low and I had spent my entire day in a complete and total fantasy world.

When I did see my boyfriend pop up online and told him I was hungry but waiting for him, I got irrationally angry when he confessed he had just eaten. Symptom #3.

He agreed to pick me up in a half hour. I went to wait outside for him and he was late. By a half hour. Instead of going back into my apartment I stood outside smoking cigarettes. I couldn't go back in there just yet. This apartment suddenly felt like a prison: a prison of vampires, werewolves, and one annoying mortal.

So yeah, outside smoking cigarettes, trying not to text him and harass him. Instead, every once in awhile, I'd curse him out loud, thus becoming one of the many crazy people in Lakewood who talk to themselves. Symptom #4.

We didn't end up at the dinner party. I didn't feel like I'd be fit company in that state, babbling about people that don't exist because they were the only thing I had to talk about at that point.

And I'm glad because I spent a lovely evening with my boyfriend. After consuming too much food, we drank beer, played slaps and bloody knuckles, and did some other things that I choose not to discuss here.

Today I feel better. But I still have much much more to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment