Tuesday, May 5, 2009

I Want To Hold Your Hand

I started singing the song as we walked back from the bar drunk in the dark. My sister's fiancee had reached out to grab my hand, but my hands were full of purse and cigarettes. So I started singing. And slowly my sister and aunt and soon-to-be-brother-in-law all started singing (and none of us can sing) as we walked. The song died off and my sister asked me to pick another and the first one that came to mind was Help!. And when that one died I told her it was her choice, being her birthday and all. Quietly, in the backs of buildings, by dumpsters she sang "Blackbird singing in the dead of night..." We all chimed in, solemnley, the night of festivities come to an end. We only got louder as we said "...into the light of the dark black night..."

Then we were home and saying our goodbyes and I love you's. And I do. Love them.

No comments:

Post a Comment