Sunday, May 17, 2009

Son of Rambow, or, This Movie Was Delightful!

Last night I watched Son of Rambow and it was charming and adorable. In a nutshell, a super religious kid (religion unknown. I think it was called The Brethren) befriends the school bully, who is remaking First Blood for a film competition. Here is what I liked most about it:

The whimsy
The triumph over kooky religions
The strange French foreign exchange student who is totally ridiculous looking
Ed Westwick

There isn't a witty remark I could make that could do this little film justice. It warmed my heart, it made me laugh, and it accomplished these things by being completely unique and never cheesy.

A note about movies being good, bad, or cheesy:

L.P made an observation about The Last House On The Left which I appreciated. He found a way to take a mediocre film and find some amount of merit in it. This is how I try to live my life when observing any art form. I'm not sure if this would make me the best or the worst film critic ever. I have a hard time coming up with lists of really horrible movies because it's very very rare that I think something was SO bad it wasn't worth my time. I can only think of two examples (and they're certainly not the worst movies ever) where my viewing experience was so unpleasant that I resorted to behavior that isn't like me.

The first was the second Matrix. I think it was Reloaded. I hated it so much that I actually fell asleep in the movie theater, which I had never done before or done since. It was confusing, poorly executed, and that awful rave/sex scene was one of the worst scenes in any movie ever.

The second time something like this happened was not very long ago, for the Bob Dylan "biopic" I'm Not There. I was SOOOO excited for this movie and I was totally disappointed. So disappointed in fact, that we walked out...another first for me. This may have been partly because my boyfriend and I had just gotten back together and we didn't want to waste our time finishing a bad movie. The only redeeming quality I saw was Cate Blanchett whose performance was so stellar, I kind of wished they just would have cast her and been done with it. The concept was good, but the execution was overly artsy and often painful to watch. However, on this one I may give it a second chance and watch it again some day. All the way through.

But, generally, I find something good in everything. If a movie is bad, I laugh my way through it and make fun of it with people. If a movie is supposed to be stupid, then you already know what you're getting into and just go along for the ride.

There's always something: an awesome hero, an evil villain, one hilarious scene, awesome costumes. But if nothing else, pray there are at least some pretty faces to look at.

No comments:

Post a Comment