Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Adolescent Fiction As Bonding Agent

So I started a new job. I don' t know about you folks, but starting new jobs gives me an awkward feeling in my tummy and the occasional bout of liquid shit.

This time, however, I was pleasantly surprised to find that everyone in my office is incredibly friendly, casual, and supportive. One one of my first days, the secretary who was training me saw my Harry Potter book and started a lengthy conversation on the ins and outs of the saga. She actually turned the conversation to Twilight, and commented that she hadn't read the fourth book yet. This sort of conversation made me feel at ease because everyone is into this crap. Not that I thought I was special.

Yesterday I arrived early, as usual, and was standing outside of the building smoking and continuing to read HP. The law clerk, Eric, saw me and started ANOTHER conversation about HP. His least favorite book is The Half-Blood Prince for reasons that I did not understand. This time it was I who mentioned Twilight, and he said that he really wanted to like the movie because his cousin was in it.

I expected him to say his cousin was "High School Student #15", however when prompted, he confessed that his cousin played "The blonde bitchy vampire". Rosalie? Yes. Rosalie.

Turns out she's blonde and bitchy in real life, is estranged from the family, and unfortunately, no, she cannot get me Robert Pattinson's autograph.

We then proceeded to discuss our favorite authors and books, and he made me listen to a song on his iPod by some a capella group which was all about books. Then he walked away awkwardly.

Cheers to you, tween fiction, for making it possible for awkward people to have a common ground of conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment